Total Pageviews

Monday, October 18, 2010

Black Bears Do Live In Mississippi...And So Do Gators

I'd like to start off this post (and all subsequent(dibs) posts) with an anecdote. I was waiting for the bus the other day, and a car driving down the street stopped to pick up a friend that was walking. Okay, that's nice. What I don't find nice is that instead of getting right in the car and continuing on, this guy decided he wanted to stop and have a conversation with the driver before getting in. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't that conversation have waited until he was in the car? It just seems that that would have been more logical and respectful to other drivers. So you've got these guys carrying on while traffic builds up behind them, horns blowing and what not, and they don't even acknowledge the traffic that they're holding up. And then the cars decide they're not going to wait anymore, so they pull around them. I don't know about you, but a Hummer 3 trying to manuever through the small streets of Ole Miss's campus always strikes me as humorous. So I'm standing there, with my headphones in and a slight grin on my face, not even looking at the car that's causing my amusement, and I hear someone yelling. I look to my right, and one of the ninnies (as my good friend Nick would call them) in the car is hanging out the window screaming at me. I couldn't hear him because of said earphones, so I just nodded and got on the bus. Maybe my grin offended him. Maybe he was trying to take attention away from the fact that his driver has no sense of respect for others. All I know is, my parents taught me courtesy. Did theirs?
Hope everyone had a great weekend, despite Ole Miss's loss to Bama. It's always hard to get over a defeat, but I find that the best cure is a little catfishing. And if that fishing should evolve in to gator tracking...well, so be it.
I should probably elaborate on the gator tracking. I was in Greenville, MS this weekend on a service retreat with Rebels For Christ and we stayed in cabins near an alligator-friendly lake. We were also told that aforementioned (dibs) lake was catfish-friendly. So like any good old country boys, we got a couple poles, some night-crawlers and a Klondike bar and headed out. 30 seconds after we got to the lake, we realized that no self-respecting catfish is going to be out at 1 in the morning. Shining our flashlights onto the water, we caught sight of a pair of red eyes. After spending ten minutes debating whether or not we were looking at a beaver, we realized that was stupid and mentally slapped ourselves. We then spent another 20 minutes throwing sticks into the water to pinpoint the gator's location. We realized that this too was stupid, mentally berated (dibs) ourselves, and took a klondike break. I suppose the gator got tired of our rudeness, because he suddenly set his eyes from stun to kill(1 point for Nick) and swam towards us. We began gathering weapons we could use against said gator...because as we all know, the one thing college kids can do is take on the creature that survived the dinosaurs, the meteor that killed the dinosaurs, and the Clinton Administration. Nick realized he wasn't prepared for this and requested that we go into the cabin, take gator 101, then come out for the battle. I was with him until the "come out for battle" part of the plan. To make a long story not quite so long, we came to our senses and agreed that the best way to view a gator is not from three feet away, but from an observation post separated by 2 fences. When we got to the post, the flashlight stopped working and our junior assistant associate to the campus minister did what any philosophy major in his position would have done...he threw it at the gators.
I can't think of a way to top that, so I'll end it here for today. Until next time, (insert deep, philosophical sign-off here),
Sam
P.S.
In my last post, I ignorantly stated that black bears do not live in Mississippi. In Greenville, I saw a poster that proved me wrong. My sincerest apologies go out to the black bear population of Mississippi. Good day

No comments:

Post a Comment