Total Pageviews

Monday, October 4, 2010

Rick On The List You Don't Want To Be On

So it's official. Rick Sanchez is now a free agent. Well not so much a free agent, more like unemployed. After his rant on XM radio last week, in which he accused comedian Jon Stewart of criticizing him because of his Latino heritage, and somewhat scoffed at the idea that Jews in America are an oppressed minority, CNN decided to let him go. While I don't want to say Rick had it coming-I enjoyed his show, particularly "Fotos del Dia" and the voice that exclaims "Oh, Dios Mio!"-I do believe he should have known better. You can't go on the radio and start downplaying the turmoil that a group of people once went through-that's bad taste. And specifically including your superiors in that group-that's just bad business. I seriously doubt that Stewart's ridicule of Sanchez was due to any disgruntlement that a Cuban-American was "almost at his level"; Stewart has never needed a reason to ridicule anybody, other than "this might make people laugh." Bottom line, Sanchez flew off the wall and took things to personally. When you're somebody in the limelight, especially a journalist going for a "hip" approach that I believe Sanchez often attempted, you just have to be ready for jokes. In my book, Rick has put himself with the likes of Michael Steele, who after being criticized for his spending of RNC funds pulled out the race card...although, Steele was specifically asked about race, and he's been known to have contradicting opinions, so that might be a topic for another blog. Anyway, I don't own a Twitter-because it's stupid and I don't respect it-, but I have checked out Rick's profile, and haven't seen anything from him regarding his comments on the radio. Oh well, better luck next time Ricky. I'm sure we'll see you down the road. Hopefully next time, you won't be on your own list.

No comments:

Post a Comment